Agreements have already been reached with a number of Member States and the UK Government is working to conclude further agreements before leaving the EU on 31 October. The government is currently holding technical talks with countries, such as Belgium, which have already passed national legislation that will support mutual health care with the UK after Brexit. The UK government will fund the treatment under the SS (S2) if authorisation for this treatment was requested before Brexit and then granted or approved before Brexit, even if this treatment is due to start after Brexit. The UK government will pay for these treatments if the supplier agrees to meet their commitment. The United Kingdom has reached an agreement with the EEA-EFTA States (Iceland, Principality of Liechtenstein and Kingdom of Norway) to guarantee the rights of British nationals residing in these countries and that nationals of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway residing in the United Kingdom will be retained until 1 November after the UK withdraws from the European Union on 31 October 2019. This means that UK policyholders will have access to health care in these countries when the UK withdraws after 31 October, as they currently do, via their S1 form. Niall Dickson, Director General of the NHS Confederation and co-chair of the Brexit Health Alliance, gave evidence to the EU Civil Liberties Committee on Brexit and stressed the interest of the Confederation and the Alliance in maintaining mutual health rules between the EU and the UK after the EU`s withdrawal. Watch a video recording of his evidence. During the transposition period that ended on 31 December 2020, EU legislation and regulations on mobile roaming remain in force. What happens after this period will depend on the UK`s future economic relationship with the EU. The four main mobile operators – EE, O2, Three and Vodafone – have all stated that they currently have no plans to reintroduce roaming supplements.

Under current EU law, EU citizens are entitled to mutual health care if they reside in one of the 28 EU Member States. This briefing on the Commons Library provides an overview of some of the guidelines published by the UK government on mutual health care after Brexit. These reciprocal agreements will not be affected by future negotiations between Britain and the EU. As a general rule, you must present your British passport and not an AEC. From 1 January 2021, your UK OF THE CEA will be valid only in the country where you are studying. Make sure you have travel insurance with health insurance for the duration of your course. Unlike the CEV, however, the agreements do not apply to existing conditions. On September 26, 2019, the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) issued a written ministerial statement on its mutual health care plans, particularly in the event of a non-agreement. He confirmed that the UK government had proposed to all EU Member States that existing mutual health schemes should apply under a non-agreement scenario until 31 December 2020. These rules currently allow access to health care for people insured in the UK who live in EU and EEA countries and for British nationals who require medical care while on leave in Europe. They also ensure that EU and EEA citizens can receive health care in the UK, whether they are on holiday, living and working.

[…] to those found in the coordination of the Social Security Order 883/2004, see my post on health arrangements after Brexit: what we are about to lose […] This is not guaranteed, so roaming charges can be introduced after the transition period has ended.